Custom Search

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Nuts

I have a space set aside and paid for at the Farmer's market for this Saturday

the main thing I was going to sell was lettuce. I have a ton of it. Well guess what we FINALLY got some heat here temps got warm ..too warm for lettuce and sure enough it all went nasty bitter

All it took was a day of weather warmer than 75 and that was all we had one day over 75 degrees and a week with no rain and the lettuce is bitter it was sweet and tasty on Saturday tried it Monday and it has gone to CRAP

grrrrrrrr

so last night I was scratching my head saying CRAP what am I gonna have at my table so I dont look like a freaking FOOL

I mean my tomatoes are not ripe yet

I have no peppers yet ..too early for the pumkins and I have like 4 cucumbers what a bounty there

(dripping sarcasm)

So this morning I went for a walk hoping to see maybe a new patch of beautiful wild flowers (no luck) instead I walked in my garden at the knee deep grass (lawn mowers not working even the new to me one needs to be oiled and sharpened it has been a fun week)


Well I have some lovely large merrigold plants I mean it they are pretty I will dig up half of them put them in pots and sell them

I have some tomatoes that are ripening I will leave them on the vine and hope that they ripen a bunch and then we will have some tomatoes to sell

I have the basil

I have the stuff to make some lily lamps

I have a house plant that I will take some cuttings off of and get them to take root and then put them in pots to sell

and of course some black eye susans

and maybe some daisies
and I have chamomile I will cut those flowers and see if those sell too

I would sell yarrow plants but I dont know if anyone would want it

too bad no one thinks of queen anne's lace as beautiful like I do (Wild Carrot)

Mullien? I got tons of that (so does everyone it grows everywhere)

hmmmmm

So I walked a little farther on and saw something that made me both happy and sad at the same time

The Blackberries are getting ripe and huge

happy cause COOL we love blackberries and I have tons of them

but sad because blackberries being ripe means the end of the gardening season they are one of the last things to ripen

I guess I could dig up some rassberry canes that will produce next year

I am just disappointed that more did not come of this garden we put out so much stuff

just a bad year around here I guess

2 comments:

Freitags said...

I would take the lettuce Sue! I'm sure it's fine. What kind are you growing? We have romaines, butterheads and leaf and they're all doing great even though our weather is generally always above 75.
If nothing else, call them bitter greens. People will buy it. I can't wait for an update!

Sue said...

I grew some Black seeded simpson and it was the sweetest stuff I had ever tasted (I hate lettuce) I guess I could cut it and call it bitter greens but they are just aweful tastes like dandelion but nastier IMO but again I dont like greens as a rule

They are so pretty too and firm and crisp lovely looking really just really bitter

I will try it and see if anyone buys them

When I looked into lettuce stuff to find out why they went bitter it is not the heat as I first suspected but heat combined with the sunlight I guess lettuce can grow in heat just not so many hours of bright light the bright light makes them go bitter faster

but the romaines tend to not turn bitter at all they have higher tolerance for it

I will blog all about it after it is over I hope I can find a safe good way to store the berries we are picking tomorrow I usually stick them in a cleaned out ice cream bucket full of cold water