Custom Search

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Plastic bottles

So easy a child can do it

leave it to the grown up to get things all confusing





I have many plastic bottles we buy our drinking water and use plastic drinking bottles I know so not PC so not "green" I should get us all reusable drinking bottles and that works for a while till one of the kids leaves thier bottle outside and it gets beyond nasty so for NOW we use plastic water bottles

I found ..or rather an online friend ..found a way to reuse them I know I posted the site already http://www.sci-scotland.org.uk/index.shtml This site had me out looking for other sites with the same thing

my only issue with this site is they want you to pay for the knowledge of how to build with plastic bottles

well I am gonna tell you I figured out the "secret" and it is not all that hard

the basic idea is to get your bottles clean (not too hard is water was in them ) get the labels off and then what you do is cut the very bottom off the bottles

now you can keep the tops on if you like we took them off when making ours

and then stack you can make them as high as you like (I have so far only made a sample)To make the end just cut off the top part where you drink from and put it on the last bottle you used (I will add pictures later)

To secure it I am using some wire (dont remember the gauge but it is thin enough for me to use) sadly this did not work as well as I had hoped for I know it could work but I need more time to putz with it and someone who is willing to help out by holding the whole mess still as I twist the wire
I have seen dirctions using long bamboo sticks in the center to hold them or wood frames on the outside I like the wire I will once I work the kinks out be able to "mold" it into shapes

weave the wire inbetween the stacks of bottles in a figure 8 form so two wires wrap around one stack of bottles then twist the wire and stick another stack of bottles in place twist the wires again and keep going till you get to the end

so once finished you will have two wires sticking out at the end mine will be used as a window for our pig yard (barn window broke) So I will use these two wires and curl them into a circle one wire on one side of the wood and the other wire will go on the other side of the wood this will secure the "window" in place (by nailing through the circle)

For the size of my window I will need to do the "figure 8" wire wrap thingie once toward the top of my structure and once toward the bottom

I know it all sounds confusing I hope the photos explain it better

No comments: