Custom Search

Monday, October 13, 2008

Lots to get done this week

I have so much t o do I almost do not know where to start !

Dave is taking some time off (Wednesday through Sunday) so we can get some things wrapped up here for the season

We slaughtered our meat birds this Sunday and they are all wrapped up and in the freezer I think we have a few more to catch and slaughter

This week we need to fix the chicken yard so they stop escaping and catch the birds cut their flight feathers and get them in the chicken yard I think they will be happier to be in there now that the big meat birds are gone (well most of them)

Then putting the garden to bed or parts of it and picking things up around the property (the kids never seem to get that done)

and fixing windows and putting up the plastic around them for a few reasons

1) it helps with heating costs and keeps the drafts out

2) it keeps the lady bugs who are trying to find a winter home out of our house

we have those Asian lady bugs all over our property and when the sun shines on the south face of the house the lady bugs swarm and get in all the little cracks

I found a few non toxic ways to get rid of them

vacuuming I take the vacuum and clean the windows and ceiling and corners of the house as best as I can

We keep the windows closed tight even on the warm days and the doors too you would be amazed at the small spaces those bugs can get in
along with keeping the windows and doors closed we have to close up any cracks in the windows and doors I do this with very thick sheets of plastic and duct tape. I have seen these bugs squeeze their way UNDER poorly sealed tape so I am careful to get as much of it around the windows as possible

and finally I found these great white traps that are used for catching larger bugs these things can hold a mouse on it and are similar to fly paper only stronger

I hang that up by the light and at night watch the bugs get stuck to it a very satisfying feeling I must say!!

Why do I get so hyper about lady bugs??

well we get them so bad here that we will have them crawling in our bed ..flying around the Christmas tree ..and generally annoying us all winter long

so the best thing is to prevent them from getting in

if the swarm gets really bad once the windows are sealed on the outside I will use barn spray to get them away from the windows. I do not like using barn spray it is horribly toxic and just nasty stuff ..

so busy week

oh and making tomato sauce from the ripening tomatoes!

6 comments:

John's Arts & Crafts said...

Great Article! new news on Ladybugs and a new movie coming out Dec. 2008 called "Ladybug"
to lean more and view movie trailer
visit http://www.thebestladybughouse.com/Blog.html

DayPhoto said...

Please send me you snail mail address, I have a book I would like to give to you (share). The book is called Big Green Purse.

If you have it already let me know.

Thanks,
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Laura said...

I alway vacuum those little buggers myself. So satisfying to hear the little thunk when they land. It's either me taking care of them that way or the dogs go nuts until I do... gotta keep my sanity somehow!

Sue said...

A horror film on Ladybugs hmmm I should have my boys make one I bet they could come up wth something histerical

we all hate lady bugs here they were brought into our area (northern WI) to be predators for the tent moths that were eating all the leaves on the trees

they have been here for ages and are really nasty little pests

the tent moths are gone but I am afraid of what some genius will come up with to get rid of the lady bugs!!

There is a reason species are not meant to be moved from thier native area the same thing happens in the plant kingdom as well it is sad truly

Anonymous said...

I like finding the occasional ladybug in the house. Makes me feel lucky.

Sue said...

An occasional lady bug would be a sweet thing to find

but here at a certain time of year the lady bugs swarm the south side of the house and we end up with thousands of them living inside the walls and crawling all over the house

they really are a pest

These are also not the sweet little red lady bugs these are the large asian lady beetles that are anywhere from dark orange to yellow to brown with many spots on them they smell horrible when aggitated and they secrete a orange liquid that stains cloth and painted walls and smells horrible