Custom Search

Thursday, June 26, 2008

No AC? No Problem!!

Alright I know I live in Northern WI and it does not get "hot" in Northern WI

I am a person who does not tolerate heat very well it is now 1pm and 79 degrees F I know it is the end of june and I should not complain about heat after all I was begging for summer a few weeks ago when we were still getting frost warnings LOL

I do not mind this heat much because there are many ways I can keep cool I do what people did before there was AC

In the evening I open up the curtains and windows and let the cool night air in

in the morning I close the curtains (leaving the windows open) to keep the cool air in and the bright sun and hot air out

I run fans

ceiling fans a tower fan and a pedastal fan

we dont use the oven inside during warm weather (Zach wants to build a solar oven so we are looking into that he saw one on Living with Ed)

For food on the really hot days (today BTW is not a really hot day just one of the warmest we have seen ) We stick to more simple foods and something more light like cold sandwiches and chips or tuna salad or chicken salad

on super hot days the kids and Dave eat Watermelon for dinner

Cold cereal and apple slices works for a dinner too

On super hot days during the warmest part of the day I do things to keep myself and the little boys cool and calm
we watch cartoons at that time of the day

I have a squirt bottle that I spray them with (on the mist setting it is a plant mister)

if we get bored we will blow bubbles inside or have a nice little siesta

OF course it does not get super hot in northern WI we are talking that we get a handful of days where the temps are over 95 degrees

sadly the humidity is also over 95%

The sprinkler put on in the front yard also helps or we head to the beach to hang out (this does not happen often our beach does not have a life guard and without another adult to help out I dont like taking them ALL to the beach)

THe biggest best thing I can tell you to do during heat is to take it easy dress appropriately no 3 peice suits or silly thick heavy things loose airy light weight and WATER WATER WATER

drink lots of water if you dont like water plain add things to it a bit of lemon a touch of lime something simple and fresh and cold

A great thing Dave and I had at this Bed and breakfast we went to was the pitcher of water they had at breakfast

fresh fruit tons of ice Kiwi, strawberries lemon slices and lime

it was colorful pretty and delicious!!

most importantly know the signs of heat stroke , sun stroke in adults and children

if you have little ones give them lots to drink water, watered down juices etc this helps and during the hottest part of the day stay protected

and don't forget if it starts to rain to cool things off you must go dance in it!

No comments: